In 1822, the McClenahan family, immigrated from Ireland to Rockville to teach English. Soon after, the family met for worship and the group began expanding eventually meeting at Rockville Academy and various homes. The original McClenahan home was sold in 1841. The McClenahan’s returned to Baltimore where they helped organize a church in Washington, DC – the future National City Christian Church. McClenahan passed away in 1856 at the age of 66.
On July 23, 1866, the Articles of Incorporation were accepted by the congregation. The first Article stated the church should be called “The Disciples Church of Rockville. The church had been called the “Disciples Church”, the “Christian Church of Rockville” and the “Church of Christ of Rockville” as reflected by a record book kept from 1878 to 1912. However, beginning in 1892, our church, has been officially known as “Rockville Christian Church”.
Property and a small frame house was deeded to the church on the corner of West Jefferson and South Adams streets; the property of the deceased William Braddock. This was our first church building. In 1879, John and Elizabeth Miller gave a small bit of property for the building of a baptistery. The small house was replaced by a brick building in 1893. On July 7th additional land was deeded by the Millers.
The church continued to grow and in 1959, 9.79 acres of land was purchased at the end of Adclare Rd. from James and Ethel Jones. Groundbreaking took place March 1964 and the first service was held November 24,1964.
Plans to build a nursing home began in 1970 and construction began in 1976 on land provided by the church. The 100 bed Rockville Nursing Home opened in December 1976.
A group gathered at the first building of the Rockville Christian Church to remove items placed in the cornerstone in 1949. The same contents in addition to some new additions were placed in the cornerstone in 1985. The new administrative wing of the church contained a parlor dedicated to Guy and Mary Carter; a new stained glass window over the altar was given in memory of Frances Karn Talburt; the Trail window from the former church building was installed in the narthex in the memory of Hezekiah and Elizabeth Trail; the landscaping was given in memory of Bradley Karn Sr. by the Karn family and the Karn memorial fund. Three sets of paraments were given in memory of George and Wesley Young by Eileen Young.
The Garden of Memories was dedicated before the building of the Adclare Rd. church and subsequently moved due to the widening of interstate 270. Bob Brinkman designed the memorial; Dale Turner did the landscaping. It is now located on the east side of the church and rededicated November 1990.
Rockville Christian Church celebrated its 190th year of Christian service in 2012.